Dust monitoring device is a measuring instrument to check the air pollution level. Suspended particulate matter is predominant part of air pollution. Human lungs filter, all particle sizes of variation 10 microns to even up to 1 micron and even smaller. The concentration of 2.5 microns is quite significant. Hence, FORBIX SEMICON dust monitoring devices displays PM2.5 concentration. It shows the average values of PM2.5 on an elegant LCD display.
- <100µg/m³, GOOD (air quality is healthy)
- 100-400µg/m³, Normal (air purifier is preferable, causes health hazard if exposed for prolonged duration)
- 100-400µg/m³, POOR (definitely needs air check)
- >800µg/m³, ALARM (smoky air, not fit for more than 10-15 minutes)
About the dust monitoring device sensing unit
Dust monitoring device used to check the air purifier functionality. The sensor located inside the left triangular orifice of the device. The air flows, through the bigger hole to the smaller one by the principle of convection. An internal heater causes a temperature difference, thereby allowing air to flow. The optical sensor then checks the scattered IR light by the PM2.5 particles. The dust monitoring device is a table-top sensing unit with LCD. It has provision to mount on the wall as well.
To turn on the machine, connect the DC jack to the adapter provided. Then plug in the adapter to the house mains power supply. The adapter is 110-220VAC to 12VDC converter. It takes a booting time of around 1-2 minutes after power up (before the 1st reading appears). Incase the readings fail to appear for more than 4-5 minutes, then blow some air at the orifice. Dimensions of the dust monitoring device: 160mm x 100mm x 30mm. LCD dimensions: 70mm x 55mm
Purpose and application of the dust monitor:
FORBIX SEMICON dust monitoring device sensor displays the reading with ±10% error margin. After the use of an air purifier (from any brand), the readings drop. It gives a clear idea to the user about the functionality of the air purifier as well. The pollution level can vary from location to location in the same room. Variable heights also produces a change in the readings. Readings near the floors are much higher than those at 5-6 feet of height.
FORBIX SEMICON produce 2 varieties of dust monitors:
Model FBXDQMG: lemon green display
Model FBXDQMW: bluish white display
Both the above dust monitoring units are same in functionality. They only differ in the LCD backlight color. The PM2.5 measuring unit is μg/m³. Additionally, shows air quality in % ratio.
Following are the particle sizes (in μm):
Particle Content Particle Size (in µm)
Hair 50 – 150 µm
Visible particles 50 µm
Flu virus 0.07 µm
Pollen 7 – 100 µm
Sneeze particles 10 – 300 µm
Dust 0.1 – 100 µm
Bacteria 1.0 – 10 µm
Features of dust monitoring device:
- The dust monitoring device is a tabletop instrument to show PM2.5 pollution level (in μg/m³)
- The device displays current values, averaged values and % of clean air
- It quantifies the PM level as GOOD, NORMAL, POOR and ALARM (as per the readings)
- A reliable tool to check the quality and functionality of air purifier operation in a room
- The dust monitoring device is has elegant display, designed to operate for 24×7
- It has the capability to display PM2.5 (particulate matter) readings
- The system needs no maintenance and no installation
- Type of sensor used: Optical
- Operating voltage: 12VDC (110-220VDC to 12VDC adapter provided alongwith)
- Accuracy level: ± 10 %
- The dust monitoring device designed for indoors. But it can also stationed outdoors with weatherproof housing
Applications of dust monitoring device:
- Checking how good the air cleaner or air purifier functioning
- Checking the cleanliness of the air conditioner
- Maintaining clean room conditions in hospitals, offices, schools etc.
A few customer comments and research work on FORBIX SEMICON air monitors: